- being, pertaining to, or resembling an obsession: an obsessive fear of illness.
- causing an obsession.
- excessive, especially extremely so.
- someone who has an obsession or obsessions; a person who thinks or behaves in an obsessive manner.
- psychiatry motivated by a persistent overriding idea or impulse, often associated with anxiety and mental illness
- continually preoccupied with a particular activity, person, or thing
- psychiatry a person subject to obsession
- a person who is continually preoccupied with a particular activity, person, or thing
adj.1911, from obsess + -ive. Related: Obsessively. Obsessive-compulsive is attested from 1927. adj.
- Of, characteristic of, or causing an obsession.