- See under buckeye(def 1).
noun, plural buck·eyes.
- any of various trees or shrubs of the genus Aesculus, as A. glabra (Ohio buckeye), having palmate leaves, gray, scaly bark, and bell-shaped greenish-yellow flowers in upright clusters: the state tree of Ohio.
- the brown nut of any of these trees.
- (initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of Ohio (used as a nickname).
- a butterfly, Precis lavinia, having dark-brown wings with purple or red eyespots.
- any of several North American trees of the genus Aesculus, esp A. glabra (Ohio buckeye), having erect clusters of white or red flowers and prickly fruits: family HippocastanaceaeSee also horse chestnut