adjective, oil·i·er, oil·i·est.
- smeared or covered with oil; greasy: an oily road surface.
- of the nature of, consisting of, or resembling oil.
- of or relating to oil.
- full of or containing oil.
- smooth or unctuous, as in manner or speech: an oily hypocrite.
- in an oily manner.
adjective oilier or oiliest
- soaked in or smeared with oil or grease
- consisting of, containing, or resembling oil
- flatteringly servile or obsequious
adj.1520s, from oil (n.) + -y (2). Figurative meaning “smooth, unctuous” is from 1590s. Related: Oiliness.