- Usually specs. specification(def 2).
- built, done, bought, etc., as a speculation: the construction of spec houses.
verb (used with object), spec’d or specked or specced, spec’·ing or speck·ing or spec·cing.
- to provide specifications for: Their newest truck was spec’d by a computer.
- on spec, made, built, or done with hopes of but no assurance of payment or a sale; without commitment by a client or buyer: ad illustrations done on spec; luxury homes built on spec and sold before completion.
- on spec as a speculation or gambleall the tickets were sold so I went to the theatre on spec
- (prenominal) Australian and NZ speculativea spec developer
n.short for specification, 1956. Related: Specs. Done on a speculative basis; with no assurance of profit. For example, We didn’t design our house; the builder built it on spec. The use of spec as an abbreviation for speculation dates from the late 1700s. see on spec.