- a person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.
- being opposite, as in position.
- opposing; adverse; antagonistic.
- Anatomy. bringing parts together or into opposition, as a muscle.
- a person who opposes another in a contest, battle, etc
- anatomy an opponent muscle
- opposite, as in position
- anatomy (of a muscle) bringing two parts into opposition
- opposing; contrary
n.1580s, from Latin opponentem (nominative opponens), present participle of opponere “oppose, object to,” literally “set against, set opposite,” from ob “against” (see ob-) + ponere “to put, set, place” (see position).