- a person who makes or sells eyeglasses and, usually, contact lenses, for remedying defects of vision in accordance with the prescriptions of ophthalmologists and optometrists.
- a maker or seller of optical glass and instruments.
- Also called: optometrista general name used to refer to an ophthalmic optician, a person qualified to examine the eyes and prescribe and supply spectacles and contact lenses
- a general name used to refer to a dispensing optician, a person who supplies and fits spectacle frames but is not qualified to prescribe lenses
n.1680s, after French opticien “maker or seller of optical instruments;” see optic + -ian. n.
- A person who practices opticianry.