- any of various willows, as the red osier, having tough, flexible twigs or branches that are used for wickerwork.
- a twig from such a willow.
- any of various North American dogwoods.
- any of various willow trees, esp Salix viminalis, whose flexible branches or twigs are used for making baskets, etc
- a twig or branch from such a tree
- any of several North American dogwoods, esp the red osier
n.species of willow used in basket-work, c.1300, from Old French osier “willow twig” (13c.) and directly from Medieval Latin osera “willow,” ausaria “willow bed,” of unknown origin, perhaps from Gaulish. Old English had the word as oser, from Medieval Latin.