- an interruption or failure in the supply of power, especially electricity.
- the period during which power is lost: a two-hour outage on the East Coast.
- a stoppage in the functioning of a machine or mechanism due to a failure in the supply of power or electricity.
- the quantity of goods lost or lacking from a shipment.Compare innage(def 1).
- Aeronautics. the amount of fuel used during a flight.Compare innage(def 2).
- a quantity of goods missing or lost after storage or shipment
- a period of power failure, machine stoppage, etc
n.“period or condition in which electrical power is disconnected,” 1903, American English; formed from out on model of shortage.