verb (used with object), out·rode, out·rid·den, out·rid·ing.
- to outdo or outstrip in riding.
- (of a ship) to come safely through (a storm) by lying to.
verb (used without object), out·rode, out·rid·den, out·rid·ing.
- to act as an outrider.
- Prosody. an unaccented syllable or syllables added to a metrical foot, especially in sprung rhythm.
verb (ˌaʊtˈraɪd) -rides, -riding, -rode or -ridden (tr)
- to outdo by riding faster, farther, or better than
- (of a vessel) to ride out (a storm)
- prosody rare an extra unstressed syllable within a metrical foot