verb (used with object), out·sourced, out·sourc·ing.
- (of a company or organization) to purchase (goods) or subcontract (services) from an outside supplier or source.
- to contract out (jobs, services, etc.): a small business that outsources bookkeeping to an accounting firm.
verb (used without object), out·sourced, out·sourc·ing.
- to obtain goods or services from an outside source: U.S. companies who outsource from China.
verb (tr) (of a manufacturer)
- to subcontract (work) to another company
- to buy in (components for a product) rather than manufacture them
v.in reference to jobs going overseas, by 1981 (as outsourcing), from out + source (v.). Related: Outsourced.