- prominent; conspicuous; striking: an outstanding example of courage.
- marked by superiority or distinction; excellent; distinguished: an outstanding student.
- continuing in existence; remaining unsettled, unpaid, etc.: outstanding debts.
- (of securities and the like) publicly issued and sold or in circulation.
- standing out; projecting: a stiff, outstanding fabric.
- Archaic. that resists or opposes.
- superior; excellent; distinguished
- prominent, remarkable, or striking
- still in existence; unsettled, unpaid, or unresolved
- (of shares, bonds, etc) issued and sold
- projecting or jutting upwards or outwards
adj.1610s, “projecting, prominent, detached,” present participle adjective from outstand (v.) “endure successfully, hold out against,” from out (adv.) + stand (v.). Figurative sense of “conspicuous, striking” is first recorded 1830. Meaning “unpaid, unsettled” is from 1797. Related: Outstandingly.