- of, pertaining to, involving, or decided by competition: competitive sports; a competitive examination.
- well suited for competition; having a feature that makes for successful competition: a competitive price.
- having a strong desire to compete or to succeed.
- useful to a competitor; giving a competitor an advantage: He was careful not to divulge competitive information about his invention.
- involving or determined by rivalrycompetitive sports
- sufficiently low in price or high in quality to be successful against commercial rivals
- relating to or characterized by an urge to competea competitive personality
adj.1826, from Latin competit-, past participle stem of competere (see compete) + -ive. Related: Competitively; competitiveness.