verb (used with object)
- to be more than a match for; surpass; defeat: an assignment that clearly overmatched his abilities; an able task force that overmatched the enemy fleet.
- to match (a competitor) against another of superior strength, ability, or the like.
verb (ˌəʊvəˈmætʃ) (tr)
- to be more than a match for
- to match with a superior opponent
- a person superior in ability
- a match in which one contestant is superior
v.mid-14c., “be more than a match for,” from over- + match (v.). Related: Overmatched; overmatching.