- over, across, or beyond the sea; abroad: to be sent overseas.
- of or relating to passage over the sea: overseas travel.
- situated beyond the sea: overseas territories.
- pertaining to countries, associations, activities, etc., beyond the sea: overseas military service; overseas commitments.
- (used with a singular verb) countries or territories across the sea or ocean.
- beyond the sea; abroad
- of, to, in, from, or situated in countries beyond the sea
- Also: oversea (ˌəʊvəˈsiː) of or relating to passage over the sea
- (functioning as singular) informal a foreign country or foreign countries collectively
adj.1580s, from over + sea. Popularized during World War I as a British euphemism for “colonial.”