verb (used with object)
- to stay beyond the time, limit, or duration of; outstay: to overstay one’s welcome.
- Finance. to remain in (the market) beyond the point where a sale would have yielded the greatest profit.
- to stay beyond the time, limit, or duration of
- finance to delay a transaction in (a market) until after the point at which the maximum profit would have been made
- NZ to stay in New Zealand beyond (the period sanctioned by the immigration authorities or the period of a visitor’s permit)
- overstay one’s welcome or outstay one’s welcome to stay (at a party, on a visit, etc), longer than pleases the host or hostess