- presumptuously conceited, overconfident, or proud: a brash, insolent, overweening fellow.
- exaggerated, excessive, or arrogant: overweening prejudice; overweening pride.
verb (used without object) Archaic.
- to be conceited or arrogant.
- (of a person) excessively arrogant or presumptuous
- (of opinions, appetites, etc) excessive; immoderate
adj.mid-14c., from present participle of verb overwenen “be conceited, presume, be presumptuous, be over-confident,” from Old English oferwenian “to be proud, become insolent or presumptuous;” see over- + ween.