- weighing too much or more than is considered normal, proper, etc.: overweight luggage; an overweight patient; two letters that may be overweight.
- extra or excess weight above what law or regulation allows, as of baggage or freight: The overweight will cost us $12.
- weight in excess of that considered normal, proper, healthful, etc.: Overweight in a child should not be neglected.
- greater effect or importance; preponderance.
verb (used with object)
- to weight excessively; exceed the weight limit of.
- to give too much consideration or emphasis to; stress unduly.
- weighing more than is usual, allowed, or healthy
- having a higher proportion of one’s investments in a particular sector of the market than the size of that sector relative to the total market would suggest: portfolio managers are currently overweight in bonds
- (of a fund etc) invested disproportionately in this way
- extra or excess weight
- archaic greater importance or effect
verb (ˌəʊvəˈweɪt) (tr)
- to give too much emphasis or consideration to
- to add too much weight to
- to weigh down
adj.“in excess of proper or ordinary weight,” 1630s, from over- + weight (n.). Of persons, as a noun, “obesity” from 1917.