- a combining form meaning “sharp,” “acute,” “keen,” “pointed,” “acid,” used in the formation of compound words: oxycephalic; oxygen; oxymoron.
- a combining form representing oxygen in compound words, sometimes as an equivalent of hydroxy-: oxychloride.
- denoting something sharp; acuteoxytone
- containing or using oxygenoxyacetylene
- a former equivalent of hydroxy-
word-forming element meaning “sharp, pointed; acid,” from Greek oxy-, comb. form of oxys “sharp, pungent” (see acrid). Also used as a comb. form of oxygen. pref.
- Oxygen, especially additional oxygen:oxygenation.