noun, plural pa·le·ae [pey-lee-ee] /ˈpeɪ liˌi/.
- a chafflike scale or bract.
- the scalelike, membranous organ in the flowers of grasses that is situated upon a secondary axis in the axil of the flowering glume and envelops the stamens and pistil.
noun plural paleae (ˈpeɪlɪˌiː) or pales botany
- the inner of two bracts surrounding each floret in a grass spikeletCompare lemma 1
- any small membranous bract or scale
Plural paleae (pā′lē-ē′)
- The inner or upper of the two bracts enclosing one of the small flowers within a grass spikelet.
- The chaffy scales on the receptacle of a flower head in a plant of the composite family.