- a remedy for all disease or ills; cure-all.
- an answer or solution for all problems or difficulties: His economic philosophy is a good one, but he tries to use it as a panacea.
- an ancient Greek goddess of healing.
- a remedy for all diseases or ills
n.“universal remedy,” 1540s, from Latin panacea, a herb (variously identified) that would heal all illnesses, from Greek panakeia “cure-all,” from panakes “all-healing,” from pan- “all” (see pan-) + akos “cure,” from iasthai “to heal” (see -iatric). Earlier in English as panace (1510s). n.
- A remedy claimed to be curative of all problems or disorders; a cure-all.