- (of a disease) prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world; epidemic over a large area.
- general; universal: pandemic fear of atomic war.
- a pandemic disease.
- (of a disease) affecting persons over a wide geographical area; extensively epidemic
- a pandemic disease
adj.1660s, from Late Latin pandemus, from Greek pandemos “pertaining to all people; public, common,” from pan- “all” (see pan-) + demos “people” (see demotic). Modeled on epidemic. The noun is first recorded 1853, from the adjective. adj.
- Epidemic over a wide geographic area.
- A pandemic disease.
- An epidemic that spreads over a very wide area, such as an entire country or continent.
A widespread epidemic affecting a large part of the population.