- a river in central South America, flowing from S Brazil along the SE boundary of Paraguay and through E Argentina into the Río de la Plata. 2050 miles (3300 km) long.
- a city in E Argentina, on the Paraná River: the capital of Argentina 1852–61.
- (parəˈna) a state of S Brazil, on the Atlantic: consists of a coastal plain and a large rolling plateau with extensive forests. Capital: Curitiba. Pop: 9 798 006 (2002). Area: 199 555 sq km (77 048 sq miles)
- (paraˈna) a city in E Argentina, on the Paraná River opposite Santa Fe: capital of Argentina (1853–1862). Pop: 305 000 (2005 est)
- (Portuguese parəˈna, Spanish paraˈna) a river in central South America, formed in S Brazil by the confluence of the Rio Grande and the Paranaíba River and flowing generally south to the Atlantic through the Río de la Plata estuary. Length: 2900 km (1800 miles)