adjective Anatomy, Medicine/Medical, Physiology.
- taken into the body in a manner other than through the digestive canal.
- not within the intestine; not intestinal.
- (esp of the route by which a drug is administered) by means other than through the digestive tract, esp by injection
- designating a drug to be injected
adj.1905, from para- (1) + Greek enteron “intestine” (see enteric). adj.
- Located outside the alimentary canal.
- Taken into the body or administered in a manner other than through the digestive tract, as by intravenous or intramuscular injection.