- a native or inhabitant of Parthia.
- an Iranian language of ancient and medieval Parthia.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Parthia, its inhabitants, or their language.
- of or relating to Parthia, a country in ancient Asia, or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Parthia
n.1520s, native or inhabitant of Parthia (ancient kingdom northeast of Persia in western Asia), from Old Persian Parthava- “Parthian,” dialectal variant of the stem Parsa-, source of Persia. As an adjective, 1580s. Phrase Parthian shot is in reference to their horsemen, who were expert at racing forward, turning, and shooting arrows backward at the moment of retreat. The exact phrase is attested by 1832; the image itself was in use long before (e.g. Parthian fight, 1630s). Or, like the Parthian, I shall flying fight [“Cymbeline,” Act I, Scene VII]