- having, compelled by, or ruled by intense emotion or strong feeling; fervid: a passionate advocate of socialism.
- easily aroused to or influenced by sexual desire; ardently sensual.
- expressing, showing, or marked by intense or strong feeling; emotional: passionate language.
- intense or vehement, as emotions or feelings: passionate grief.
- easily moved to anger; quick-tempered; irascible.
- manifesting or exhibiting intense sexual feeling or desirea passionate lover
- capable of, revealing, or characterized by intense emotiona passionate plea
- easily roused to anger; quick-tempered
adj.early 15c., “angry; emotional,” from Medieval Latin passionatus “affected with passion,” from Latin passio (genitive passionis) “passion” (see passion). Specific sense of “amorous” is attested from 1580s. Related: Passionately.