- the state of being patent.
- Medicine/Medical. the condition of not being blocked or obstructed.
- Phonetics. openness of articulation, found more or less in all phonemes except stops.
- the condition of being obvious
- the state of a bodily passage, duct, etc, of being open or unobstructed
- phonetics the degree to which the vocal tract remains unobstructed in the articulation of a speech soundSee also closure (def. 7)
n.1650s, from patent + -cy. n.
- The state or quality of being open, expanded, or unblocked.