- characteristic of or befitting a father; fatherly: a kind and paternal reprimand.
- of or relating to a father.
- related on the father’s side: one’s paternal grandfather.
- derived or inherited from a father: paternal traits.
- relating to or characteristic of a father, esp in showing affection, encouragement, etc; fatherly
- (prenominal) related through the fatherhis paternal grandfather
- inherited or derived from the male parent
adj.early 15c., from Old French paternal “of a father” (12c.), from Medieval Latin paternalis, from Latin paternus “of a father, fatherly,” from pater (see father (n.)). adj.
- Relating to or characteristic of a father or fatherhood.
- Received or inherited from a father.
- Related through one’s father.