- a person who is under medical care or treatment.
- a person or thing that undergoes some action.
- Archaic. a sufferer or victim.
- bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like.
- characterized by or expressing such a quality: a patient smile.
- quietly and steadily persevering or diligent, especially in detail or exactness: a patient worker.
- undergoing the action of another (opposed to agent).
- patient of,
- having or showing the capacity for endurance: a man patient of distractions.
- susceptible of: This statement is patient of criticism.
- enduring trying circumstances with even temper
- tolerant; understanding
- capable of accepting delay with equanimity
- persevering or diligenta patient worker
- archaic admitting of a certain interpretation
- a person who is receiving medical care
- rare a person or thing that is the recipient of some action
adj.mid-14c., “enduring without complaint,” from Old French pacient and directly from Latin patientem (see patience). Related: Patiently. n.“suffering or sick person under medical treatment,” late 14c., from Old French pacient (n.), from the adjective, from Latin patientem (see patience). n.
- One who receives medical attention, care, or treatment.