- characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder: a peaceful reign; a peaceful demonstration.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a state or time of peace.
- peaceable; not argumentative, quarrelsome, or hostile: a peaceful disposition.
- not in a state of war or disagreement
- tranquil; calm
- not involving violencepeaceful picketing
- of, relating to, or in accord with a time of peacepeaceful uses of atomic energy
- inclined towards peace
adj.early 14c., “inclined to peace, friendly, pacific,” from peace + -ful. Meaning “tranquil, calm, full of peace” is from mid-14c. In reference to nonviolent methods of effecting social change, it is attested from 1876. Related: Peacefully; peacefulness. Peaceful coexistence (1920) originally was in regard to Soviet policy toward the capitalist West.