- Metallurgy. a microscopic lamellar structure found in iron or steel, composed of alternating layers of ferrite and cementite.
- Petrography. perlite.
- a volcanic glass in which concentric fractures impart a distinctive structure resembling masses of small spheroids, used as a plant growth medium.
- the lamellar structure in carbon steels and some cast irons that consists of alternate plates of pure iron and iron carbide
- a variant spelling of perlite
- a variety of obsidian consisting of masses of small pearly globules: used as a filler, insulator, and soil conditioner