noun, plural pe·cu·li·ar·i·ties.
- a trait, manner, characteristic, or habit that is odd or unusual.
- oddity; singularity; eccentricity.
- a distinguishing quality or characteristic.
- the quality or condition of being peculiar.
noun plural -ties
- a strange or unusual habit or characteristic
- a distinguishing trait, etc that is characteristic of a particular person; idiosyncrasy
- the state or quality of being peculiar
n.c.1600, “exclusive possession;” 1640s, “special characteristic,” from peculiar + -ity, or else from Latin peculiaritas. Meaning “an oddity” is attested by 1777. Related: Peculiarities.