- a person who sells from door to door or in the street.
- a person who tries to promote some cause, candidate, viewpoint, etc.
- a person who peddles; hawker
- a person who sells illegal drugs, esp narcotics
- the usual US spelling of pedlar
n.late 14c. (c.1300 as a surname, Will. Le Pedelare), from peoddere, peddere (c.1200, mid-12c. as a surname), of unknown origin. It has the appearance of an agent noun, but no corresponding verb is attested in Middle English. Perhaps a diminutive of ped “panier, basket,” also of unknown origin, but this is attested only from late 14c. Pedlar, preferred spelling in U.K., is attested from late 14c.