noun, plural Pe·king·ese for 1, 4.
- one of a Chinese breed of small dogs having a long, silky coat.
- the standard Chinese language.
- the dialect of Peking.
- a native or inhabitant of Peking.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Peking.
- plural -ese a small breed of pet dog with a profuse straight coat, curled plumed tail, and short wrinkled muzzle
- the dialect of Mandarin Chinese spoken in Beijing (formerly Peking), the pronunciation of which serves as a standard for the language
- plural -ese a native or inhabitant of Beijing (formerly Peking)
- of or relating to Beijing (formerly Peking) or its inhabitants
1907, “small long-haired dog of the pug type,” so called because originally brought from the Imperial Palace at Peking, China. Also Pekinese.