- a long, tapering flag or burgee of distinctive form and special significance, borne on naval or other vessels and used in signaling or for identification.
- any relatively long, tapering flag.
- a flag serving as an emblem of victory or championship, especially in baseball.
- Music. hook1(def 12a).
- Nautical. pendant(def 6).
- a type of pennon, esp one flown from vessels as identification or for signalling
- mainly US, Canadian and Australian
- a flag serving as an emblem of championship in certain sports
- (as modifier)pennant cricket
- nautical another word for pendant (def. 5)
- same as flag 1 (def. 10)
n.1610s, “rope for hoisting,” probably a blend of pendant in the nautical sense of “suspended rope” and pennon. Use for “flag on a warship” first recorded 1690s; “flag symbolizing a sports championship” (especially baseball) is from 1880; as a synonym for “championship” it was first used 1915.