- a machine for driving piles, usually composed of a tall framework in which either a weight is raised and dropped on a pile head or in which a steam hammer drives the pile.
- a person who operates such a machine.
- a person who hits or attacks forcefully or powerfully.
- Wrestling. a move whereby an opponent is turned upside down and slammed headfirst to the mat.
- British Sports. a powerful stroke, hit, kick, etc.
- a machine that drives piles into the ground either by repeatedly allowing a heavy weight to fall on the head of the pile or by using a steam hammer
- informal a forceful punch or kick
n.1772 in literal sense, from pile (n.2) + driver. Figurative sense of “very strong hit” is recorded from 1858.