- a fiber obtained from plants of the genera Agave, Aechmea, etc., used for cordage, mats, etc.
- any of these plants.
- a round, flat Middle Eastern bread that is often filled with meat, peppers, etc., to make a sandwich.
- any of several agave plants yielding a strong fibreSee also istle
- a species of pineapple, Ananas magdalenae, the leaves of which yield a white fibre
- Also called: pita fibre the fibre obtained from any of these plants, used in making cordage and paper
n.“thick, flat bread,” 1951, from Modern Hebrew pita or Modern Greek petta “bread,” perhaps from Greek peptos “cooked,” or somehow connected to pizza (q.v.).