noun, plural pix for 2.
- a plural of pic1.
- the box or vessel in which the reserved Eucharist or Host is kept.
- a watch-shaped container for carrying the Eucharist to the sick.
- Also called pyx chest. a box or chest at a mint, in which specimen coins are deposited and reserved for trial by weight and assay.
- informal photographs; prints
- a less common spelling of pyx
- Also called: pyx chest the chest in which coins from the British mint are placed to be tested for weight, etc
- Christianity any receptacle in which the Eucharistic Host is kept
n.c.1400, “a box,” especially the vessel in which the host or consecrated bread is preserved, from Latin pyxis, from Greek pyxis “box-wood; a box,” from pyxos “box-wood; box-tree,” of uncertain origin. n.variant of pics, 1930 (see pic).