verb (used with object)
- to make (a field goal or point after touchdown) by a place kick.
- to kick (the ball) as held for a place kick.
verb (used without object)
- to make a place kick.
- a kick in which the ball is held nearly upright on the ground either by means of a tee or by a teammate, as in a kickoff, an attempt at a field goal, etc.Compare drop kick, punt1(def 1).
- a kick in which the ball is placed in position before it is kicked
- to kick (a ball) using a place kick
n.1845, originally in rugby, from place + kick (n.). Related: Place-kicking.