- any fabric woven of differently colored yarns in a crossbarred pattern.
- a pattern of this kind.
- a long, rectangular piece of cloth, usually with such a pattern and worn across the left shoulder by Scottish Highlanders.
- having the pattern of a plaid.
- a long piece of cloth of a tartan pattern, worn over the shoulder as part of Highland costume
- a crisscross weave or cloth
- (as modifier)a plaid scarf
n.1510s, from Scottish, from or related to Gaelic plaide “blanket, mantle,” of unknown origin, perhaps a contraction of peallaid “sheepskin,” from peall “skin,” from Latin pellis (but OED finds this “phonetically improbable”). The wearing of it by males forbidden by act of parliament, under penalty of transportation, 1746-82. As an adjective c.1600, from the noun.