- a person who plants.
- an implement or machine for planting seeds in the ground.
- the owner or manager of a plantation.
- History/Historical. a colonist or new settler.
- a decorative container, of a variety of sizes and shapes, for growing flowers or ornamental plants.
- the owner or manager of a plantation
- a machine designed for rapid, uniform, and efficient planting of seeds in the ground
- a colonizer or settler
- a decorative pot or stand for house plants
n.“one who sows seeds,” late 14c., agent noun from plant (v.). Mechanical sense by 1850. Meaning “proprietor of a cultivated estate in West Indies or southern colonies of North America” is from 1640s, hence planter’s punch (1924). Meaning “a pot for growing plants” recorded by 1959.