- (among American Indians) a medicine man who by various rituals and incantations seeks to cause rain.
- a person who induces rainfall by using various scientific techniques, as the seeding of clouds with silver iodide crystals from an airplane.
- Slang. an executive or lawyer with exceptional ability to attract clients, use political connections, increase profits, etc.: The president has several rainmakers among his advisers.
- (among Native Americans) a professional practitioner of ritual incantations or other actions intended to cause rain to fall
- informal, mainly US an influential employee who creates a great deal of business or revenue for his or her firm