verb (used with object)
- to ascribe or attribute to (usually followed by with): He was accredited with having said it.
- to attribute or ascribe; consider as belonging: an invention accredited to Edison.
- to provide or send with credentials; designate officially: to accredit an envoy.
- to certify (a school, college, or the like) as meeting all formal official requirements of academic excellence, curriculum, facilities, etc.
- to make authoritative, creditable, or reputable; sanction.
- to regard as true; believe.
- to ascribe or attribute
- to give official recognition to; sanction; authorize
- to certify or guarantee as meeting required standards
- (often foll by at or to)
- to furnish or send (an envoy, etc) with official credentials
- to appoint (someone) as an envoy, etc
- NZ to pass (a candidate) for university entrance on school recommendation without external examinationthere are six accrediting schools in the area