- an act of recommending.
- a letter or the like recommending a person or thing.
- representation in favor of a person or thing.
- anything that serves to recommend a person or thing, or induce acceptance or favor.
- the act of recommending
- something that recommends, esp a letter presenting someone as suitable for a job, etc
- something that is recommended, such as a course of action
early 15c., “action of commending oneself to another,” from Old French recommendation (Modern French recommandation), from Medieval Latin recommendationem (nominative recommendatio), noun of action from past participle stem of recommendare (see recommend). Meaning “act of recommending (someone or something) as worthy” is from 1570s. Letter of recommendation is from late 15c.