noun, plural red·eyes, (especially collectively) red·eye for 1, 2.
- any of several fishes having red eyes, as the rock bass.
- red-eyed vireo.
- Also red-eye, red eye. Slang. cheap, strong whiskey.
- red-eye(def 2).
- (initial capital letter) Military. a shoulder-launched U.S. Army surface-to-air missile capable of destroying low-flying aircraft.
- red-eye(def 4).
- the condition of having bloodshot eyes, as from eyestrain or lack of sleep.
- Also red eye, redeye. Informal. a commercial airline flight between two distant points that departs late at night and arrives early in the morning.
- redeye(def 3).
- an unwanted photographic effect in which a person’s iris appears to be red: caused by the reflection of a flashbulb off the blood vessels of the retina.
- Also redeye. Informal. of or indicating a long-distance flight that leaves late at night: the red-eye special from New York to Los Angeles.
- US slang inferior whiskey
- Canadian slang a drink incorporating beer and tomato juice
- another name for rudd
- an aeroplane flight leaving late at night or arriving early in the morning
- (as modifier)a red-eye flight
“airplane flight which deprives travelers of sleep,” 1968, from the red eyes of sleeplessness; earlier as a noun meaning “raw and inferior whiskey” (1819, American English).