- a dress or lightweight coat, usually belted, open along the entire front to reveal a dress or petticoat worn underneath it.
- a coatdress with a contrasting gore in front.
- a long, double-breasted overcoat worn by men in the 18th century.
- a woman’s coat with a close-fitting top and a full skirt
- a man’s or woman’s full-skirted outer coat of the 18th and 19th centuries
- a woman’s light dress or coat of the 18th century, with an open-fronted skirt, revealing a decorative underskirt
“double-breasted outer coat with long plain skirts,” also a similar garment for women, 1793, from French redingote (1725) from English riding coat (c.1500).