- a person who keeps a record; an official recorder.
- an agent of a bank, trust company, or other corporation who is responsible for certifying and registering issues of securities.
- an official at a school or college who maintains students’ personal and academic records, issues reports of grades, mails out official publications, etc.
- a person who keeps official records
- an administrative official responsible for student records, enrolment procedure, etc, in a school, college, or university
- British and NZ a hospital doctor senior to a houseman but junior to a consultant, specializing in either medicine (medical registrar) or surgery (surgical registrar)
- Australian the chief medical administrator of a large hospital
- mainly US a person employed by a company to maintain a register of its security issues
1670s, shortening of registrary (1540s), from Medieval Latin registrarius “one who keeps a record” (related to register (n.)). Earlier were registerer (mid-15c.), registrer (late 14c.).
- An admitting officer in a hospital.