- a session of exercise, drill, or practice, usually private, in preparation for a public performance, ceremony, etc.: a play rehearsal; a wedding rehearsal.
- the act of rehearsing.
- a repeating or relating: a rehearsal of grievances.
- a session of practising a play, concert, speech etc, in preparation for public performance, the act of reciting
- the act of going through or recounting; recitalrehearsal of his own virtues was his usual occupation
- in rehearsal being prepared for public performance
late 14c., “restatement, repetition of the words of another,” from rehearse + -al (2), or from Old French rehearsal “a repeating.” Sense in theater and music, “act of rehearsing,” is from 1570s. Pre-wedding rehearsal dinner attested by 1953.
- The process of repeating information, such as a name or a list of words, in order to remember it.