- the act of inserting: the insertion of a coin in a vending machine.
- something inserted: an insertion in the middle of a paragraph.
- Botany, Zoology.
- the manner or place of attachment, as of an organ.
- attachment of a part or organ, with special reference to the site or manner of such attachment.
- lace, embroidery, or the like, to be sewn at each edge between parts of other material.
- Aerospace. injection(def 6).
- the act of inserting or something that is inserted
- a word, sentence, correction, etc, inserted into text, such as a newspaper
- a strip of lace, embroidery, etc, between two pieces of material
- anatomy the point or manner of attachment of a muscle to the bone that it moves
- botany the manner or point of attachment of one part to another
1590s, “act of putting in,” from Late Latin insertionem (nominative insertio), noun of action from past participle stem of inserere (see insert). Meaning “that which is inserted” attested from 1620s.
- The point or mode of attachment of a skeletal muscle to the bone or other body part that it moves.
- The placing of a dental prosthesis in the mouth.