- a remaining, usually small part, quantity, number, or the like.
- a fragment or scrap.
- a small, unsold or unused piece of cloth, lace, etc., as at the end of a bolt.
- a trace; vestige: remnants of former greatness.
- remaining; leftover.
- (often plural) a part left over after use, processing, etc
- a surviving trace or vestige, as of a former eraa remnant of imperialism
- a piece of material from the end of a roll, sold at a lower price
- remaining; left over
late 14c., contraction of remenant (c.1300), from Old French remanant “rest, remainder, surplus,” noun use of present participle of remanoir “to remain” (see remain (v.)). Specific sense of “end of a piece of drapery, cloth, etc.” is recorded from early 15c. An Old English word for “remnant” was endlaf.