- a person or thing that repeats.
- a repeating firearm.
- Horology. a timepiece, especially a watch, that may be made to strike the hour or part of the hour.Compare clock watch.
- Education. a pupil who repeats a course or group of courses that he or she has failed.
- a person who votes illegally by casting more than one vote in the same election.
- a person who has been convicted and sentenced for one crime, and later for another; recidivist.
- Mathematics. (no longer in technical use) a repeating decimal.
- Telecommunications. a device capable of receiving one-way or two-way communications signals and delivering corresponding signals that are either amplified, reshaped, or both.
- Navigation. gyro repeater.
- a person or thing that repeats
- Also called: repeating firearm a firearm capable of discharging several shots without reloading
- a timepiece having a mechanism enabling it to strike the hour or quarter-hour just past, when a spring is pressed
- electrical engineering a device that amplifies or augments incoming electrical signals and retransmits them, thus compensating for transmission losses
- Also called: substitute nautical one of three signal flags hoisted with others to indicate that one of the top three is to be repeated
1570s, agent noun from repeat (v.). As a type of firearm from 1868; as “a frequent offender” from 1884.